Grades, Progression and Graduation


Visit Student FAQs for answers to your frequently asked questions.


Discovery Credit

The Discovery Credit grading option for undergraduate students encourages academic exploration without the fear of decreasing a student’s cumulative or graduating average and supports students in exploring course material outside of their area of study.

Before requesting a Discovery Credit grading option, review the Discovery Credit policy to understand eligibility conditions and potential impacts associated with a Discovery Credit. Questions about your eligibility, or how designating a course as a Discovery Credit may affect you should be directed to your home Faculty.

Students requesting the Discovery Credit grading option are expected to fully engage in the requested course of study. Completion of course requirements such as tests, examinations, group work, written submissions, etc. are required in order to be evaluated for a passing grade.

To Request a Discovery Credit Grading Option for a Course


Students in eligible programs can apply to designate a course as a Discovery Credit after they have enrolled in the course.

Use the online Discovery Credit application to request a Discovery Credit grading option. The online application will be open in early September for Fall/Winter courses and in early May for Summer courses.

Keep in mind the deadline to request or cancel a Discovery Credit option is different for full-term courses, and first- or second-term half courses. The Discovery Credit deadline is the same date for dropping a course without academic penalty. Review the Discovery Credit policy and Sessional Dates for details.

Fall/Winter 2020 Discovery Credit Deadlines 
Fall/Winter 2020 courses:
Full-year 0.5 course or a full-year 1.0 course
Monday, November 30, 2020
Fall 2020 courses:
First-term 0.5 course or a first-term 1.0 course
Thursday, November 12, 2020
Winter 2021 courses:
Second-term 0.5 course or a second-term 1.0 course

Revised Date:

Sunday, March 14, 2021
(will be extended to the next business day Monday, March 15, 2021)


Note: Requests for a Discovery Credit after the deadline require special permission from your Faculty's Academic Counselling Office. Special permission is not guaranteed for Discovery Credit requests.

After a Discovery Credit request is submitted, the request will be reviewed and your eligibility will be determined. You will receive an email confirming that your request has been received, and another after the request has been processed notifying you if the course has been approved or if it was deemed not eligible.

If your course is approved, the Office of the Registrar will convert the submitted numerical grade to Pass/Fail per the Discovery Credit grading option. Approved courses can be viewed on your Web Academic Report in Student Center. A note of “Grading Basis: Discovery Credit” will be listed below the approved course.

Any questions or concerns about Discovery Credit can be direct to 

Accessing Your Grades

As Fall/Winter grades are received by the Office of the Registrar, they will be available for viewing on your Student Center under Academics > Web Academic Report. To run your Web Academic Report, from the Report Type dropdown select “Web Academic Report” and press the “view report” button.

If you are ordering a transcript prior to the review of your academic progression being complete, the following statement will appear on your transcript: "ALL DECISIONS CONCERNING ACADEMIC PROGRESSION AND STANDING HAVE NOT BEEN FINALIZED FOR THIS TERM." See the Transcripts page for more information.

Course Failures

Any undergraduate courses in Arts, Science, Social Science, Kinesiology, Music, Health Science and Media, Information and Technoculture as well as the Affiliated Colleges, will be used in the assessment and average calculation of a general student's eligibility to progress and/or enter or remain in a program. Progression average calculations INCLUDE failed grades. All grades below 50% are considered failures. Grades below 40% will be included in average calculations as 40%, grades from 40% to 49% will be included as the actual grade reported.

Note: Engineering subjects have their own grading scheme. Any Engineering student Grade/mark questions should be directed to the Engineering Dean's office.

If you drop a course after the last day to drop deadline, which will vary according to the type of course in which you are enrolled, it will be recorded as F (failure) and you will receive a mark of 40% for Average Calculation purposes.

Grading Scale/GPA Conversion

Western currently uses a numeric grading scale on transcripts and academic records, and as a result does not issue a grade point average for students. Details on this system can be found in the Academic Calendar.

The following is the grading scale for students in the Faculties of Arts and Humanities, Business, Education, Engineering, Health Sciences, Information and Media Studies, Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry (BMSc program only), Music, Science, Social Science, and in the Affiliated University Colleges (Brescia, Huron and King's).

Grading Scale

Grade Percentage
A+ 90-100%
A 80-89%
B 70-79%
C 60-69%
D 50-59%
F Below 50% or assigned when course is dropped with academic penalty.

Note: Grades assigned for courses taken on a letter of permission at another institution follow the grading scale of The University of Western Ontario. Effective May 01, 2010, grades for undergraduate courses taken on exchange will be recorded as PAS+ (pass with distinction), PAS or FAI.

The Ontario Medical School Application Service (OMSAS) Undergraduate Grading System Conversion Table is used as a reference when grades are assigned. Please visit the OMSAS Website. When converting a letter grade to a percentage, the mid-point of the numerical range will be used. Western will assign grades for students who are not studying in a Canadian institution based on curriculum, grading practices, and grading scale interpretation.

To convert your Western average into a GPA using the Ontario Medical School Application Service (OMSAS) scale, please visit the OMSAS Website for the most up to date Undergraduate Grading System Conversion Table and calculate your overall average for courses taken in a particular year or degree or use your course final averages for individual courses as needed.

If you require your Western course grades and/or degree qualifications verified for another educational institution, please visit The World Education Service (WES) for more information.


Intent to Register (ITR) for Fall/Winter



Intent to Register (ITR) for the 2021 Fall/Winter term (September 2021 to April 2022)
will be available in February until March 31st at 11:59PM

Intent to Register (ITR)
is for current Fall/Winter students to request registration in an academic program and/or module for the subsequent Fall/Winter term. 

ITR is used to indicate your academic preference for:

Program and/or Module(s) Example:
Bachelor of Arts (4 Year)
Major in English Language & Literature + Minor in Film Studies
Academic Course Load Full-Time or Part-Time

To request a program and/or module change within a current term, a student should contact their Faculty Academic Counselling Office to complete a Change of Status form.

Why should I complete an ITR?
Your ITR preference is considered when decisions relating to your academic progression are being made (typically in May and June) for the subsequent Fall/Winter term. If you do not indicate your academic preference, you may be registered into an undeclared program of study. This may impact your eligibility to access courses during the Fall/Winter course registration period.

Do I need to complete an ITR?
Students currently in Year 1 (excluding those in Year 1 Medical Science First Entry) and Year 2 Medical Science First Entry should complete an ITR to progress into a program and/or module.

Some Faculties/Schools may require that an ITR be completed each year of study. For example, students who are currently registered in or wishing to transfer into limited enrollment programs may need to complete an ITR.

Always consult with Faculty Academic Counselling Offices for their ITR requirements.

What should I do to prepare for ITR?
Attend ITR information sessions offered by your Faculty Academic Counselling Office.

Submit an ITR through Student Center
Students will have access to ITR through Student Center [Western Links -  Complete My Intent to Register]. Changes can be submitted throughout the ITR period. After submitting an ITR, a confirmation will be sent to the student's Western email account with the details of their request. After the ITR period has closed, ITR choices for the following year will be displayed in Student Center [Academics - Planning - View My Intent to Register].

Note: Some students will not have access to ITR through Student Center and will need to contact their Faculty Academic Counselling Office.

Missed the deadline to submit your ITR through Student Center? Refer to chart below for next steps.

Students currently registered in a program offered by:

School of Kinesiology
School of Health Studies
Faculty of Information & Media Studies
Faculty of Engineering
Don Wright Faculty of Music

Contact your Faculty Academic Counselling Office to complete an ITR.
Students currently in:

Year 1 Science
Year 2 Medical Science First Entry
an ITR will be submitted for BA (Undeclared) Faculty of Science. Contact the Academic Counselling Office for Science & Basic Medical Sciences about submitting a Change of Status form by their deadline in June/July.
Students currently in:

Year 1 (excluding Science)

Contact your Faculty Academic Counselling Office to complete an ITR.
It is very important that a student in a Common First Year program complete an ITR to progress into a program and/or module.
Students who want to request a new program and/or module(s) Contact your Faculty Academic Counselling Office to complete an ITR.
Students who want to request that they continue in current program and/or module(s) No further action is required. Your ITR will be generated based on your current program and/or module status.


The Office of the Register supports adjudication processes completed by Faculties.

An adjudication process includes:

  • Consideration of your academic preferences requested through your Intent to Register (ITR) for Fall/Winter
  • A review of progression requirements specific to your program/module
  • A review of graduation requirements for the completion of your program

For details about the adjudication process and academic requirements, consult:

Adjudication for Fall/Winter Progression

The Fall/Winter adjudication process is a mandatory step to prepare you for registration in the next Fall/Winter term.

Adjudication Results

Adjudication results are listed in Student Center under Grade Report:

My Academics > View My Grades > Grade Report  

On Probation

If it has been determined during adjudication that you have been placed on probation or you are continuing on probation it is highly recommended that you speak with your home Faculty Academic Counselling Office to ensure you are fully aware of the impacts of being on probation.

What does on probation mean?
There are different registration conditions and progression expectations of a student that is on probation. Review these conditions in the Progression Requirements - On Probation section in the Academic Calendar.

Other related policy: Academic Records and Student Transcripts - Academic Transcripts

Can I appeal my probation?
Probation is not an appealable situation. If you have any questions regarding your probation please contact your home Faculty Academic Counselling Office.

Required to Withdraw

If it has been determined during adjudication that you have been required to withdraw from the University because you do not meet the progression requirements, you may wish to apply for a Dean’s Waiver and/or apply for readmission to Western.

To Apply for a Dean’s Waiver of Progression Requirements

  1. Read the academic policies to fully understand your situation, including:

    •  Progression Requirements
    •  Required to Withdraw
    •  Student Academic Appeals – Undergraduate
    •  Accommodation for Illness – Undergraduate Students

    Other related policies:
    •  Academic Rights and Responsibilities
    •  Examinations and Grading
    •  Degree Requirements and Graduation

    If you need any further clarification of polices please contact your home Faculty Academic Counselling Office.

  2. Make sure to obtain or keep copies of the following:
    a. Your Grade Report. Navigate to your Grade Report in Student Center - My Academics > View My Grades > Grade Report
    b.  Supporting documentation that you feel is relevant to your appeal
    c.  Any relevant emails and/or correspondence

  3. Identify serious medical or extenuating circumstances that have impacted your grades, were beyond your control and could not have been accommodated through extensions, special examination and/or modifications.

  4. Submit a Dean’s Waiver of Progression Requirements form by the applicable deadline

    Visit your home Faculty Academic Counselling website to find their waiver instructions. If not provided on your Faculty website, contact the Academic Counselling Office to obtain a form.

    Refer to Academic Calendar - Program Eligibility and Progression section for Dean’s Waiver of Progression Requirements deadlines.

  5. Speak with an Academic Counsellor and/or the Ombudsperson. The Ombudsperson and Associate Ombudsperson are available during the summer to discuss your individual situation and options. Website:

Important Note:

Be aware that for students funded through the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) decisions pertaining to your academic life may affect your present and/or future funding eligibility through the OSAP program. From more information contact the Ontario Student Assistance Program office 1-888-449-4478 or Western Financial Aid at or attend the drop in hours.

What if I do not seek a Dean’s Waiver or I am denied a Dean’s Waiver?
If you have been required to withdraw and do not seek or are denied a Dean’s Waiver you will not be permitted to register at Western until you submit an application for readmission

Review the conditions for Readmission Following Unsatisfactory Performance in the Academic Calendar.

When should I apply for readmission?
Applications become available in October each year for admission to Summer or Fall sessions of the following year. It is recommended that all students apply for readmission and submit documents early and prior to March 1 as space is limited. You should not wait twelve months to apply. Information about how to apply can be found on the Admissions website.

Once you have submitted your application, the Admissions Office will request supporting documents required to review your application for readmission. Decisions will not be made until all supporting documentation is received. Note: As the Admissions Office does not have access to documentation that you may have supplied to the Dean’s Office in support of a Dean’s Waiver, it is important for you to submit documentation the corroborates the reasons for poor academic performance at Western. The Admissions Committee may ask for additional documentation to support your claims, such as a doctor’s note if you indicated you were ill.

Be sure to apply well before the deadline. If you are considering applying for readmission to Western, you are strongly urged to contact your home Faculty’s Academic Counselling Office regarding your future academic pursuits.

If you plan to attend or have attended any postsecondary institution within the 12 month required absence from Western, even after you have applied for readmission, you must disclose this information on your application and request an official transcript to be sent to the Admissions Office at Western as soon as it is available from the institution you attended.

What do I need to do to reapply?
To be readmitted to Western you must fill out a Full-time or Part-time application:
All students seeking readmission are required to complete the Reconsideration of Admission form:

• Please note that on your Reconsideration of Admission form you must demonstrate how you are prepared to be academically successful at university should you be readmitted.

Other factors impacting readmission decisions:

Readmission is not automatic. In deciding whether to readmit a student who previously failed to meet progression requirements, the Admission Committees take all available information into account, including:
  • Information on the Reconsideration of Admission form.
  • Academic history (previous Western and high school marks, any other records, i.e., college or university work).
  • Documentation of circumstances you believe hindered your academic progress.
  • Your career and academic goals and your academic achievement in relation to your goals. If you wanted to complete a degree in Computer Science but your grades in Math and Computer Science from high school and while at Western were poor, the Admissions Committee will take this into consideration.
  • Any course work or upgrading completed since you last attended Western including how you performed in these courses, the number of courses completed, the level of rigour, and the relevance to the program to which you are seeking readmission.
  • Other activities since you last attended Western including paid work and volunteering.
  • Submission of other supporting documents such as an employment or volunteer reference letter, confirmation of hours etc. is beneficial.

The Admission Committee will try to assess how likely it is you will succeed if readmitted.

Other preparatory steps to take until you can apply for readmission:

  • Speak with an Academic Counsellor in your Faculty regarding your future academic plans. 
  • Speak with a Western Admissions Officer to seek advice on what to do while away from Western for 12 months. You can contact Western Admissions via
  • Stay academically active. Please note if you do choose to be academically active while away from Western during the 12 month period, even after you have applied for readmission, you must amend your application on the OUAC website as soon as possible to have this attendance included on your application for admission; and you must request that an official transcript to be submitted to the Admissions Office at Western as soon as it is available from the institution you attended. 
  • Volunteer.


Visit Convocation at Western for everything you need to know about convocation, from deadlines for applying to graduate to what to expect on the big day.

For a step-by-step visual guide of how to submit your application, see Applying to Graduate.