Western's New to Canada Grant

Western University is welcoming International students who are new to Canada to our community with a grant of $1,000 to assist with settlement costs.


  • You are new to Canada
  • You are commencing studies in Fall 2023, Winter 2024 or Summer 2024
  • You are an International student who is registered and charged the international tuition rate
  • You are entering any year of Undergraduate study, or are entering Graduate studies, at Western’s Main Campus
  • You have provided a copy of your valid study permit to the Office of the Registrar (Undergraduates) or the School of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies (Graduates)


International students who are registered at Affiliate Colleges or at the Ivey Business School should direct any inquiries there.

Students who are attending Western as a Visiting Student, Exchange Student, or are registered in fully online programs are not eligible.

Steps to access the New to Canada Grant

  1. Provide copy of valid study permit
  2. Complete the necessary steps for registration and tuition billing
  3. Make the necessary fee payments 

How to Provide Proof of a Valid Study Permit

Provide proof of Study Permit as follows:

Undergraduate Students: upload your study permit here

Graduate Students: provide a copy of your study permit in person at the School of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies, International & Graduate Affairs Building, Room 1N07 or email a clear copy of your study permit to Thomas Bilotta tbilott@uwo.ca.

To Request a Refund

  1. Provide direct deposit banking information as follows:
    1. Undergraduate students update banking information through Student Center
    2. Graduate students update banking information HERE.
  2. Contact Student Financial Services through our Virtual Helpline to request a refund
  3. Note that a refund is not required if your preference is to use this funding to reduce any outstanding fee balances


Student questions can be directed to the Office of the Registrar (Undergraduate students) through our Virtual Helpline or to the School of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies (Graduate students).