What is Academic Considerations?
What is Academic Considerations?
Academic Consideration provides students with consistent, fair, and academically appropriate consideration, when they are unable to complete some component of a course due to extenuating circumstances.
If you have missed or will miss a course-related component (e.g. laboratory or tutorial) or a course-related assessment (e.g. quiz) you may be eligible to request an Academic Consideration to make arrangements to complete the missed course work at a later time.
Academic Consideration for course-related components and assessments may include:
- Class Attendance
- Tutorial Attendance
- Laboratory Attendance
There are three ways you can request academic consideration:
- Self-Reported Absence
- Medical Absence
- Non-Medical Absence
The nature of your circumstance/request will determine which route to pursue in requesting Academic Consideration. Factors affecting your eligibility for consideration or which method would be most appropriate for you to submit your request are:
- The duration of time needed;
- The number of Self-Reported Absences submitted within the Term
- The credit weight of the course-related component
To learn more about the types of absences and eligibility for an Academic Consideration for Undergraduate students:
- Review your rights and responsibilities with regards to your absences:
Accommodation for Illness – Undergraduate Students
Requesting Academic Consideration
- Consult your Faculty Academic Counselling Office for information on how they handle Academic Consideration requests.
- Consult with your instructor(s).
Tip: Remember to send notification of your absence within the acceptable timeframe for your type of absence. Make sure to communicate with your instructor about your absence and to make arrangements for completing any missed coursework.
Self-Reported Absence Form
If your absence is short-term and unexpected then you may be eligible to use the Self-Reported Absence Form.
Before you use the Self-Reported Absence Form, make sure you understand the eligibility conditions and your responsibilities:
Completing a Self-Reported Absence Form will only notify your instructor(s) of your absence within the acceptable absence timeframe. You are responsible for contacting your instructor(s) within the appropriate amount of time to make arrangements to complete the missed coursework.
To use the Self-Reported Absence Form:
- Log into:
- Click on the Self-Reported Absence link located on the right-hand side under Student Services Links.
- Carefully read the instructions and complete the Form, indicating each of the courses that you will miss during your absence.
- Email your instructor(s) following your Self-Reported absence to discuss a new deadline/make-up date.
Please visit the Self-Reported Absence FAQ’s page for a full list of frequently asked questions.
Medical Absence and Non-Medical Absence
An Academic Consideration for a Medical or Non-Medical absence will require documentation and is coordinated through your Faculty Academic Counselling Office.
To request an Academic Consideration for these types of absences, review the eligibility conditions, documentation requirements and deadlines:
- Student Medical Certificate
- Request for Academic Consideration for a Medical Absence
- Request for Academic Consideration for a Non-Medical Absence