How to Register in Summer Courses

How to Register in Summer Courses

Are you thinking about taking courses this summer? If so, then follow the steps below:

STEP 1: Summer Activation (February 20 - July 30)

Log into Student Center beginning February 20, 2024 and navigate to Academics > Course Registration > Summer Term Activation.

*Note: it may take up to 72 hours to be activated (activation only runs Monday through Friday).

STEP 2: Register in courses

Once your account is activated, log in to Student Center and Under Academics > Course Registration > Search and Add. Then select the correct term, Summer 2024. Enter keyword(s) or use “Additional ways to search” to find the course you want to enroll in.

For instructions on course registration, refer to our Register in Summer Courses Guide for help.

In the Summer term, all students are considered part-time and are limited to 2.5 credits, with no more than 2.0 taken simultaneously excluding Distance Studies if you take all 2.5 by this delivery method.

You can use Draft My Schedule to help you create a conflict-free schedule.

*NOTE: Use Draft My Schedule to check and see if your Distance Studies course requires any in-person components. You’ll find this information under “requisites and constraints.”

For a list of summer registration dates, please see the Summer 2024 Registration Dates sheet.

STEP 3: Fees

Make sure fees are paid by the summer tuition due date: May 15, 2024. If you are relying on OSAP to pay your tuition, the application is available here.


What day can I drop my summer course by and not have to pay fees?

As long as you drop your course before the begin date for the session your course is offered in, you won't be charged cancellation fees or tuition. For course start dates, see the Summer Course Registration Schedule.

Registration has not started yet, how can a course be FULL?

If you see that a course is full it might just be closed. Check the notes on Draft My Schedule to see if that section requires special permission, uses a wait list, or will open if all other sections are full.

What is a Wait List and where can I find more information?

The wait list option allows students to join a queue for automatic enrollment into a class component. A wait list option can be available on all types of class components: lecture, tutorial, laboratory or exam centers. For more details, read our information on waitlists.

How do I move my schedule from Draft My Schedule to Student Center to register?

Follow our step-by-step instructions to move the courses to your Enrollment Cart.

What is a requisite?

There are different types of requisites:

  • Pre-requisites – a course that must be successfully completed prior to registration for credit in the desired course;
  • Co-requisites – a course that must be taken concurrently with (or prior to registration in) the desired course; and
  • Anti-requisites – a course that overlaps sufficiently in course content that both cannot be taken for credit. An anti-requisite is not equal to a pre-requisite unless you see in the Western Calendar that the course will accept it.

What if the course says “not full” on the web version of the timetable but comes up as “full” when I try to register?

This happens when you do not meet the priority or restriction placed on the course. You may not get special permission to avoid these situations.

What is the difference between a priority and a restriction?

A Priority is when students in specific degrees/modules have the first opportunity to register. If a course has a priority, you can add yourself to the waiting list to see if you would qualify for a space when the priority lifts.

A restriction is when only students in specific degrees/modules/campus may register in that course. Note: Special permission is not normally granted to students who do not meet priorities since these are in place so program students can get courses to be able to graduate.

Do I have to contact Western chat for help to enroll in every course I want to take if I have transfer credits?

No, you will not have to contact Western chat unless one of your transfer credits is considered to be the pre-requisite or co-requisite for the course you would like to enroll in.

Can a Main Campus student take a course offered at an Affiliate College

Review the notes in Draft My Schedule to see if the course can be taken with Home Faculty permission. If a course has a Main campus section you will not be able to take it at an affiliate.

How will I know when a special permission is added to my record?

You can see your special permission by logging into Student Center and looking under “Academics”. Many departments are using class permissions this year allowing student who have been granted permission to register without contacting the Office of the Registrar so always try yourself before contacting us.

I want to swap a lab or tutorial. Can I do so without dropping and re-adding the lecture section?

Yes, review our Swapping a Lab or Tutorial information.

Will my Distance Studies class require any in-person components?

Depending on the course, some Distance Studies Courses may require students to come to campus for tests or exams. You can check this in Draft My Schedule.