Self-Reported Absence: Frequently Asked Questions

Student writing

If your absence is short-term and unexpected then you may be eligible to use the Self-Reported Absence Form. Below is a series of frequently asked questions to help guide your understanding. For more information, please contact your Faculty Academic Counselling Office.

What conditions are addressed by Self-Reported Absences?

  • Medical Reasons (e.g. flu, pneumonia, situational depression or anxiety)
  • Compassionate Reasons (e.g. death of close family member or friend)

Where do I find the Self-Reported Absence Portal?

  • Student Center : The Self-Reported Absence link is located on the right-hand side under Student Services Links.

How many Self-Reported Absences am I allowed?

  • Students are allowed a maximum of two self-reported absences between September and April and one self-reported absence between May and August. This excludes December or April exam periods, final exams in the summer, or final lab exams.

Can I carryover an unused Self-Reported Absence from a previous term?

  • No, self-reported absences cannot be saved or “banked” for future use.

How long can my Self-Reported Absence be for?

  • The duration of the excused absence is for a maximum of 48 hours. Students can request that the period covered include Yesterday and Today, or Today and Tomorrow.  Absences start at midnight (12:00 a.m.) on the first requested day and end at 11:59 p.m. the following day.

I was unable to submit my request with the Self-Reported Absence Form. What do I do now?

I submitted a Self-Reported Absence Form but should have requested a medical or non-medical absence. What do I do now?

I have an essay worth 25% due in one course today and a test worth 15% in another course tomorrow. Can I self-report both of these on the same SRA?

  • The portal allows you to indicate all of the work you will be missing, for each course, in the 48 hour period provided it is worth 30% or less.

When am I eligible to use a Self-Reported Absence?

  • When you are unable to perform academic duties for 48 hours or less because of medical or compassionate reasons that are beyond your control.
  • When the work you will be missing in any given course is worth 30% or less.
  • When you are not writing an exam during the December or April exam period, a final exam in the summer, or a final lab exam.
  • When you are not registered in a dual degree program.
  • When you are registered in an Undergraduate program that is eligible to use this form

Review the eligibility conditions for Requests for Academic Consideration Using the Self-Reported Absence Form

What are some things I need to think about when deciding whether to use a self-reported absence?

  • Does the medical or compassionate circumstance genuinely affect my ability to do academic work?
  • How long will the situation last?
  • How hard will it be to make up the missed work?
  • Has the professor indicated how missed work will be made up?

I’m a student taking a dual degree in Ivey plus an undergraduate faculty, can I use the online Self-Reported Absence Form for my other undergraduate, non-Ivey course(s)?

  • Please contact the Academic Counselling Office of your undergraduate (non-Ivey) faculty to report a self-reported absence.

Do I need to provide a medical note for a self-reported absence?

  • Documentation from a health care professional is not required.

Can a professor refuse a self-reported absence or ask for "proof"?

  • No. Instructors cannot refuse a self-reported absence or ask for proof provided the self-reported absence meets all of the criteria (e.g. the academic work is not greater than 30%).

How long do I have until I need to contact my instructor about making up the work I missed?

  • You need to be in touch with your instructor no later than 24 hours after the end of the period covered by the self-reported absence form unless your instructor has stated otherwise on the course syllabus.

Can I use my Self-Reported Absence for something I already submitted (or completed)?

  • No, you must use your Self-Reported Absence for academic components NOT yet completed.

My course is taught by multiple professors, should I email all my professors within the course to ask how to make up for the exam or do I just email the course coordinator?

  • Email the course coordinator or designate.

I received an email from my instructor indicating that the report I missed because I had dental surgery is due 2 days after the end of my self-report. Do I still need to email them within 24 hours?

  • No, you do not need to contact them provided you received an email from the instructor indicating how you are expected to make up the outstanding work, or that information is clearly indicated on the course outline.

If I report an absence online at 9:00 a.m., would that mean if I attended my lab class at 2:30 p.m. that same day that my absence is terminated at that time? Or would I still get the 48 hour unless I complete an exam or hand in an assignment?

  • The intent of the policy is to enable students to attend labs, tutorials, or lectures if they feel able to (so as to be able to avoid falling further behind). For example, if you spent the night at the hospital emergency with a sick friend, you might not have been able to complete your assignment that was due that day but you are still able to attend your lab.

How might my instructor have me make up the missed work?

Examples of how the missed work may be made up include:

  • Make up exams
  • Extensions (including permission for an incomplete grade)
  • Excused absences
  • Modified schedules for labs, assignments, or projects
  • Alternate modes of delivery (e.g. video presentation in lieu of a missed oral presentation)
  • Alternate assignments
  • Reweighting of terms marks

Can a make-up midterm be self-reported?

  • Make-up midterms can be self-reported if you have not already used your self-reports for the term.

If one person in a group project self-reports, does this move the project for the entire group or does every member have to self-report for the due date to be pushed?

  • Consult with your instructor about how to proceed.

I have an essay and 3 midterms in one week. One of my friends told me I should just plan to use a Self-Reported Absence during this time. Is this a good idea?

  • No. Academic Consideration is intended to deal with extenuating circumstances. If students plan to use the SRA to deal with their regular workload, rather than practicing appropriate time-management, they will be unable to rely on it should something unexpected occur.

I have used my Self-Reported Absences and can’t attend a test due to extenuating circumstances. What do I do now?

  • Any absences in excess of the number of allowed SRAs per term, regardless of duration, will require you to present a Student Medical Certificate (SMC), signed by a licensed medical or mental health practitioner, detailing the duration and severity of illness, or appropriate documentation supporting extenuating circumstances to your Faculty Academic Counselling Office no later than 2 business days after the date specified for resuming responsibilities.

I would like to Self-Report an absence for my midterm this afternoon because an extenuating circumstance has come up (e.g. my child was injured during recess or I have developed a migraine), but I handed in an essay this morning. Will this void my SRA?

  • The SRA will not be void as long as the academic activity (the essay) was completed prior to the self-report for the midterm.

I have 2 tests tomorrow, can I self-report today and write one test tomorrow and not the other?

  • As the policy is currently written, if a student self-reports an absence and then within the 48 hours, undertakes significant academic responsibilities (e.g. writes a test, submits a paper), the self-reported absence would terminate.

Can I submit a self-reported absence for a long-term chronic condition/disability?

  • Students with long-term chronic conditions or disabilities can seek Academic Accommodation by contacting Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) in the Student Development Centre.
  • Similarly, students who are registered at Brescia and Huron University Colleges request can request accommodation through SSD on the main campus. SSD can be reached at (519) 661-2147;
  • Students of King's requiring accessibility accommodations can contact Accessibility, Counselling and Student Development (ACSD) by calling 519-433-3491 ext 4321 or by coming to Wemple 151.