Part-time Canada Student Loan & Grant Programs

The PTCSL program is designed for students who will be attending post-secondary on a part-time basis (between 20% -59% course load). Students who apply for PTCSL must meet citizenship requirements as defined by OSAP.

Allowable Costs

Unlike OSAP for Full-Time Students Application, OSAP for Part-Time Students Application does not provide a cost of living amount. The OSAP for Part-Time Students application asks you to provide your 2017 Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment.  If you are unemployed and did not have an income in 2017, a letter that details how your cost of living (rent, food, etc.) is being met must be provided. The educational costs that are allowed with Part-Time OSAP are tuition and books. 

Canada Study Grant for Part-Time Students (CSG)

There are three grants that are funded by the federal government: The Canada Student Grant for Part-Time Students; the Canada Student Grant for Persons with Permanent Disabilities; and the Canada Student Grant for Part-Time Student with Dependents. Eligibility criteria differ for each grant but they are primarily targeted at low income students; students with a documented disability; students who have at least one child under 12 and/or a child with a permanent disability.

Ontario Part-Time Grant

As a component of the OSAP Application for Part-Time Students, the Ontario Part-Time Grant provides grant aid to eligible part-time low-income students to help them with their costs of education.

How to Apply

To be considered for these grants, you must complete the Online Osap Application for Part-Time Students.  For application forms and loan maximums please visit the OSAP website.


The deadline that the financial aid office at Western must receive your completed application and all required documents is based on the length of your study period: 

  • Study periods that are up to 20 weeks long: the deadline to apply is no later than 6 weeks prior to the end of your study period. Supporting documentation no later than 6 weeks prior to the end of your study period.
  • Study Periods that are 21 weeks or longer: the deadline to apply is no later than 60 days prior to the end of your study period. Supporting documentation must be received 40 days prior to the end of your study period.
Documents You Need to Provide

You are required to print, sign and submit a declaration and signature page indicating that you have read and understood your rights and obligations. Your spouse (if applicable) will also have to sign their own declaration and signature page. All of these documents are available to you once you submit your online part-time application.

You will also be required to provide documents to support the information that you provide on your application. When you complete an online application, the documentation that you must provide will be listed. All documentation must be received before OSAP can calculate your aid.

What Happens After You Apply

Your required documentation will be reviewed by the Financial Aid Office at Western.  Once all required documents have been provided, your eligibility for each type of aid associated with your application will be determined.

How to Check the Status of Your Application and the Amount of Your Aid
  • Information about your application is available on the OSAP web site.  Log in to check the status.
  • Contact the Financial Aid Office at Western if you have any questions regarding the status of your application
What Needs To Be Done Before You Can Get Your Aid

You must provide proof of your identity before any aid documents will be released to you.

Your identity will be verified by the Financial Aid Office at Western before any form of OSAP funding (i.e., loan/grant funding certificates and/or grant cheques) will be given to you.

How You Get Your Aid

If you are receiving a Canada Student Grant for Part-Time Studies, you will be given two documents from your Financial Aid Office at Western:

  • Certificate of Eligibility Part-Time Student Loans and Grants, which is the document that indicates the amount of aid you will be receiving; and
  • Canada Student Loan Agreement for Part-Time Students, in which you provide the contact and banking information required to negotiate your certificate.

Review both documents carefully and provide the information and signatures requested. You would then mail both documents through a designated Canada Postal outlet. Please note, full processing instructions are attached to the loan/grant document.

When You Get Your Aid

You cannot receive your Certificate of Eligibility Part-Time Student Loans and Grants until on/after your study period start date. You will receive an email from the Financial Aid Office at Western when your Certificate of Eligibility Part-Time Student Loans and Grants or Grant Cheque (if applicable) is available for pick-up.

Take Note:
  • Your completed certificate must be received at the NSLSC within 30 days of the date entered on the document by your financial aid office.
  • Your certificate must be received before the last day of the month of your study period end date printed on your document. If it is not, the certificate will be considered invalid and you will not have access to the amount of funds listed on it.
Change(s) to Your Income and/or Status

You must promptly inform your financial aid office in writing of any changes to your income (and your spouse, if applicable) or any changes to your financial, academic, family, and/or study period status.

After Your Current Study Period Ends

You must start making payments on your part-time loan (interest and principal) beginning on the last day of the seventh month after the day your current study period ends.

If you are currently receiving loans ...

During any study period in which you are receiving part-time or full-time OSAP loans, payments on your part-time loan will be automatically deferred unless you choose to make voluntary payments.

If you are not currently receiving loans ...

If you are continuing your studies but are not receiving part-time or full-time OSAP funding for your current studies, your previous loans will enter repayment unless you submit an application to defer payment.  In this case, notify the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) and/or your previous lender(s) that you are still in studies by submitting a Canada Student Loans Program Confirmation of Enrolment (Schedule 2) form. You must have your postsecondary institution complete this form and forward it to the NSLSC or to the lender holding your previous loan.